Firstly, it will in some circumstances cover the non-refundable deposit you have paid. It will usually cover in the case of death, serious illness or accident and job loss. It won’t cover you if you change your mind or your wife throws another wobbler about the amount of “lads” bike trips you’ve booked this year….(we always advise taking the wife with you 😊)
Secondly, your EHIC Card in France will only cover about 70% of the health cover costs, that’s the same as a French national would receive. They generally have top up insurance for the remaining 30% so it makes sense that you should do the same. Oh and please make sure your EHIC Card is in date! (EHIC cards will be valid until 31/12/2020; after that who knows!)
Thirdly, your EHIC Card won’t get you back to the UK if you have a serious accident. For that you need a travel insurance policy that includes repatriation. French hospitals are great but you really don’t want to be stuck in one for too long, especially if you don’t speak the language.
Right, what to look out for when buying a policy?
A word of warning – so many times we hear people say “oh I don’t buy travel insurance, it’s included with my bank account” and indeed it may be but please, please, please check the small print. Often it only covers motorcycles up to 125cc and rarely will it cover riding off road.
If you are touring on your own bike, consider getting additional breakdown cover for your trip and again read the small print to make sure it covers what you need. Some policies may deem older bikes not economical to bring back to the UK.
So to recap – yes you need motorcycle travel insurance! And read the small print.